Maintaining your online presence is something that takes some effort. While it can be easy to just design a great website and then not think about giving it a revamp this can be negatively affecting the success of your business. Coming up with new content to share, staying up to date with the latest design feature and optimizing your website to be user-friendly are just a few of the task you face when building or strengthening your online presence. There, however, is no doubt that to stand out in any industry you have to keep your website up to date to attract new viewers and keep loyal visitors coming back for more.
Why is it important to keep your website up to date?
It is incredibly important to keep the content of your website up to date. This builds trust with your audience and allows you to stand out as an expert in your field. If your website is full of outdated or invalid information this not only shows you aren’t providing value to your audience but it also hinders your SEO.
If you leave all your content out dated there is a great chance that your content is no longer showing up in search engines. Updating your content not only allows it to be easier to find it also indicates to the search engines that your site is still active, which gives your content a boost in search engine results. When you do not update your website it becomes static which indicates to search engines that it is not generating any traffic and is essentially not in use. Making updates to your website is an easy way to boost your ranking in search engines and draw in more viewers.
How to Keep Your Website Up to Date?
1. Update important content.
The content that you want to be known for as an expert on or content that focuses on the main idea or subject of your site is what you want to ensure is current and up to date. This content should be of the highest quality and filled with the most useful and up-to-date information. While this content may not be generating the most traffic to your site it is vital that you provide your audience with this updated information to maintain the trust and expertise level that many of your viewers expect to find on your site.
2. Update high traffic posts.
It can be incredibly time-consuming to go through and update all your older content so instead of just starting with the oldest begin with the content that brings in the most traffic. Since this content is what your audience is already seeing it should be a priority that this information is current. Not only will you continue to pull in a high amount of traffic from this content but you increase the chances of generating, even more, traffic by updating the information.
3. Remove outdated information.
You want to keep your site clean and this means going through and removing the really old and outdated content. If there are items on your website that are generating no traffic and you know the information is completely out of date it is probably best just to remove it from your site
4. Keep you site information up to date.
Not only do you want to keep the content on your site up-to-date but you want to make sure all the information related to your business is up to date as well. It can be easy to forget to change the about page or keep you mission statement current or even answering some of the newer more common question in your FAQ page but it is something you want to look over and update every once in awhile. Aside from the information available for your viewers to see on your page you want to make sure that all the other unseen information is updated as well. If you have tags on your site, keywords that you use and additional information that makes it easier to be found online you want this to be current as well. Be sure your location is up to date so you can be found by your entire audience which can be an easy thing to neglect if you have expanded your market.
5. Add more to your site.
Adding new pages to your website is one way to easily keep your site fresh and up to date. There are a number of things you can either add on your website or update to show viewers your business is still thriving and busy. These things can include:
• A blog
– If you don’t have a blog start one. Blogs are one of the easiest ways to strengthen your brand identity, be looked at as an expert, increase your SEO, and consistently add new content to your site.
• Current events
– Including news stories or current accomplishments on your site is also a great way to add new content to your site. Whether it is a recent training you attending in your industry, a new product you launched, or just a news article that relates to your industry, these are all vital pieces of information that show you stay current in your industry and keep you site current as well.
• Images and videos
– Images and especially videos can greatly increase your SEO and is an easy way to keep your website looking fresh and inviting. Showcase any projects your company has completed or create an easy to follow video tutorial that demonstrates how your product can be used.
– If you do not have a section with client testimonials this is one additional page you want to create. Testimonials serve a variety of purposes, one of which is that they provide you with positive feedback that other new viewers can find helpful. This also reassures new potential clients that your company provides an exceptional service or product they should invest in. You can include written testimonials or video testimonials which will allow you to consistently add new content to your site.